The Covid-19 pandemic in Europe is over, yet the shadow of a healthcare crisis continues to loom large. As the continent grapples with multiple complex issues, it’s clear that the healthcare sector faces many challenges requesting immediate attention. Medicines shortages, workforce fatigue, strained budgets, drug affordability, supply chain disruptions, an aging population, and the ever-present threat of antimicrobial resistance, rising infectious diseases, and climate change are just some of the hurdles we must overcome.
In response to these pressing concerns, the European Union has set its sights on an ambitious solution: the European Health Union. This visionary initiative aims to tackle a multitude of healthcare issues while establishing a robust crisis response system for emerging threats on the horizon.
As we approach the 2024 European elections, several pivotal health files are racing to be finalised, including pharmaceutical legislation, the European Health Data Space, and Substances of Human Origin. It’s a pivotal moment in European health policy making, and it’s time for a comprehensive assessment of the current situation and how to confront the next challenge – Europe’s healthcare “permacrisis.”
POLITICO Live’s Health Care Summit will tackle all these critical issues one by one. This event will feature a stellar lineup of speakers sharing their insights through interviews and panel discussions moderated by in-house experts. The Health Care Summit is scheduled for October 24-25, taking place both in Brussels and online. It’s a crucial moment for key policymakers, industry experts, medical professionals, patients’ representatives, and more to come together and shape the future of healthcare policy in the European Union.
Among the speakers at this event, you’ll find influential voices from various sectors including politicians and healthcare experts. Here’s a glimpse of some of the notable figures joining us:
- MEP Susana Solís Pérez (Renew, Spain) – Member of the Subcommittee on Public Health (Sant), European Parliament
- Christoph Glaetzer – Chief Global Value and Access Officer, Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
- Paul De Raeve – Secretary General, European Federation of Nurses Associations (EFN)
- Maria Jesus Lamas Diaz – Executive Director, Spanish Agency for Medicines and Health Products (AEMPS)
- Frank Vandenbroucke – Deputy Prime Minister and Minister, Social Affairs and Public Health, Belgium
- Pierre Delsaux – Director-General, Health Emergency, Preparedness and Response Authority (HERA), European Commission
- Stella Kyriakides – Commissioner for Health and Food Safety, European Commission
- Roland Driece – Director for International Affairs, Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports, the Netherlands
- Stefan Woxströmm – Vice-President for Europe and Canada, AstraZeneca
- MEP Stelios Kympouropoulos (EPP, Greece) – Member of the Covi Special Committee and the Sant Subcommittee, European Parliament (Pending Final Confirmation)
- Peter O’Leary – Executive Director, European Blood Alliance
Don’t miss this major event that will shape Europe’s healthcare journey towards a healthier and more resilient future.